Brenda Brock demonstrates how to make her eco-friendly herbal skincare salve.
Hand-to-Heel Softening Salve How-To
1. First prepare calendula-infused oil by combining 1 part dried, organic calendula petals with 4 parts organic almond oil in a sterilized jar. Set aside in a dark, warm place (like a kitchen cupboard) and allow to infuse for 3 to 6 weeks. Once infused, using a funnel lined with unbleached cheesecloth, filter oil into another sterilized jar.
2. Heat 2 cups of calendula-infused almond oil in a double boiler (glass measuring cup in a saucepan of water) on a stovetop burner or hot plate. Do not heat oil directly on burner, as it could scorch, and infused oils contain therapeutic ingredients that could be compromised with too much heat.
3. With a hand grater, grate 1 premeasured 2-tablespoon cube of beeswax and add to hot oil, stirring with wooden skewer until completely incorporated.
Tip: 2-tablespoon measurement is for liquid beeswax. To make beeswax cubes, melt down wax and premeasure by pouring into an ice cube tray. Allow to cool completely before removing cubes and grating.
4. Remove oil from heat and add 1/4 teaspoon of natural vitamin E while continuing to stir gently.
5. Add 3 to 5 drops of lavender essential oil and 1 to 2 drops of peppermint essential oil and stir to incorporate.
Tip: You can customize this recipe in a number of ways to address specific skin conditions, personal preferences for scent, etc. Do so by choosing an herb, a carrier oil, or an essential oil known for the benefits you desire.
6. Transfer salve to sterilized container of choice (glass jar, metal tin, etc.) and allow to cool completely with the lid off.
Tip: If the preparation is too hard after cooling, reheat the salve in the double boiler and drizzle a little more oil into the mixture as you reheat. If the preparation is too soft after cooling, reheat the salve in the double boiler and add a bit more beeswax as you reheat.
7. Once the salve has cooled, secure the lid on the jar and attach a personalized label if desired.
Tip: If there is a divot, crack, or other uneven surface on the top of the salve, make a little more and top it off in the jar so there is a smooth, sealed finish. This will ensure lengthy shelf life and a pretty presentation.
Hand-to-Heel Softening Salve and Calendula Remedy Oil available from Farmaesthetics. Additional tools and materials available at health food stores.