The range of mineral shades -- from subtle to intense -- can be customized by how many layers you apply. Try a sheer wash of color, or brush on a few coats for a brighter payoff.
1. GloMinerals gloEye Shadow in Mermaid
2. GloMinerals gloLoose Eye Shadow in Charming
3. Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Glimmer in Azure
4. MyChelle Eye Shimmer in Spring
5. Mineral Fusion Eye Shadow in Element
6. Avon Smooth Minerals Eyeshadow in Enchanted Lilac
7. Avon Smooth Minerals Eyeshadow in Pixie Dust
8. Afterglow Cosmetics Organic Pencil Eye Liner in Planet
9. The Body Shop Nature's Minerals Eye Colour in Platinum Shimmer
To keep the look natural, employ these sleight-of-hand application tricks.
Lips: For full-color coverage, swipe the lipstick across your lips. For a more subtle shade, dab on to lips with your fingertip.
Cheeks: Mineral pigments are intense, so start with a sweep across the apples of your cheeks, and add more depending on how deep you want the color.
Eyes: Mineral eye shadows can be used in two ways: swept onto the eyelid, or as a liner with a brush dipped in water.
Foundation: Be careful not to overapply. When you're dealing with mineral pigments, less is more.
"One of the biggest complaints about loose mineral powder is that it's messy," says Colorescience's Diane Ranger. "The reason this technique works so well is that it gets the minerals into the brush head and not all over the place."
Spin: Put a small amount of makeup into the cap and spin your brush.
Tap: Tap the brush against the side of the cap to knock off loose minerals.
Press: Working in small circles, press the powder into your skin.