Poached Eggs with Roasted Tomatoes
Enjoy this protein-rich mini meal first thing in the morning -- or at any time of day.
Whole Living, January/February 2011
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (10 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 large eggs
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin, split and toasted
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange tomatoes in a baking
dish. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
Toss with thyme. Roast until tomatoes begin to burst,
about 20 minutes. Scrape tomatoes and any juices into
a bowl and let cool slightly.
- In a medium straight-sided skillet, heat 2 inches
of water over medium until bubbles cover bottom and
sides of pan. Crack each egg into a separate small
bowl. Gently pour eggs into pan, leaving room between
them. Cook eggs, undisturbed, until white is just set
and yolk is still loose, 4 to 5 minutes. Use a rubber
spatula to gently release eggs from bottom of pan, if
necessary. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs from
water. Blot bottom of spoon on a paper towel to remove
excess water before serving.
- Serve eggs over English muffin halves. Season
with salt and pepper. Top with roasted tomatoes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.