Millet Bowl with Black Beans and Vegetables
This hearty meal is full of clean, flavorful ingredients. With no gluten, dairy, soy, meat, or added sugar, it's the perfect detox food.
Whole Living, January/February 2011
- 1/4 cup millet
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 shiitake mushrooms (2 ounces), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 baby bok choy, halved
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
- Place millet, black beans,
and ginger in a small saucepan.
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and
water. Bring to a boil, stir
once, then reduce heat and
simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
Allow to rest for 10
minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Steam shiitakes in a
steamer over boiling water,
covered, for 3 minutes. Add
carrots and bok choy and
steam 4 to 6 minutes more.
Remove steamer from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk
together oil and vinegar to
make dressing. Season with
a dash of salt.
- Transfer millet to bowls
and garnish with steamed
and remaining raw vegetables. Season to taste with
salt and pepper. Pour dressing
over top and sprinkle
with sunflower seeds.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.