Delicata Squash Salad with Kale and Cranberry Beans
Delicata squash is tossed with kale, cranberry beans, and a tangy balsamic dressing. Compounds in kale prompt the liver to release enzymes that may fight cancer.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2009
- 2 medium delicata squashes (about 2 pounds), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 bunch kale (5 ounces), large stems removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) cranberry or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squashes into 1/2-inch-thick semicircles. Toss with 1 teaspoon oil, and spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until just tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Mix together balsamic vinegar and honey. Brush some of the mixture onto squash slices; reserve remaining mixture. Bake for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, place kale in a large bowl. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic, and cook until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add red-wine vinegar and remaining vinegar-honey mixture to saucepan, and bring to a boil. Immediately pour hot dressing over kale, and sprinkle with salt. Season with pepper. Add squash and beans. Cover with plastic, and let stand for 5 minutes. Toss until kale wilts slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.