Serve these handrolls with individual dipping sauce bowls filled with the soy sauce and a pinch of wasabi. Each person can stir the wasabi paste into the soy sauce as desired. Pickled ginger preserved in sweet vinegar is traditionally eaten throughout the meal and should be presented in a tiny pile on each plate.
- Eight 7 X 4-inch nori sheets
- 2 tablespoons mirin wine
- 1 cup Sushi Rice (http://www.wholeliving.com/130359/sushi-rice)
- 8 thin asparagus
- Eight 4-inch-long daikon slices, julienned
- Eight 4-inch-long peeled cucumber slices, julienned
- 8 scallion greens
- 1 tablespoon prepared wasabi paste
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pickled ginger
- Brush the rough matte side of a sheet of nori with the wine. Place the sheet on the counter and spoon the rice in a 1-inch-wide strip across the middle of the sheet. Place one of each vegetable on top.
- Roll the nori as in a waffle cone by grasping the upper right corner of the nori between your thumb and middle finger and folding it over the rice to meet the opposite side. Pick up the lower left corner and wrap it around to form a cone.
- Serve with the wasabi, soy sauce, and pickled ginger.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.