Treviso Caesar Salad
Rather than using the traditional romaine in this Caesar salad, try spear-shaped and slightly bitter treviso, a close relative of radicchio.
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovy fillets, blotted and minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads treviso or radicchio, trimmed and torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 4 sourdough rolls, tops only, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the sourdough pieces, olive oil, thyme, and salt and toss. Spread the croutons on a baking sheet and bake until golden, about 10 minutes, shaking the pan once or twice.
- Meanwhile whisk the garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and anchovies in the bottom of a large bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the greens and toss to coat. Add the croutons and toss. Sprinkle with the cheese and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.