Cinnamon-Spiced Moroccan Chicken
This easy, dressed-up chicken has its roots in North African cooking. If you have time, marinate the chicken in the spices overnight, which will enhance the flavor. You can also substitute golden raisins for the dates. Serve this dish with couscous or brown rice.
Body+Soul, October 2005
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 cup whole dates, pitted and sliced
- Combine 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon with the cumin, turmeric, chili powder, and salt in a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and toss well to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick pan. Saute the chicken over medium heat until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Saute apples and dates in the skillet for 1 minute. Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon cinnamon; cook and stir to coat. Spoon apples and dates onto chicken. Serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.