- 3 pounds beef shank bones, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 lean short ribs of beef
- 4 leeks, cut into half lengthwise and washed
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 whole carrots, peeled
- 1 yellow onion, unpeeled and halved
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1 large sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 white spring onions, trimmed
- Handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 whole head of garlic, unpeeled
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place all of the ingredients in an 8-quart Dutch oven. Add 2 cups of water and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven and add water to cover. Simmer on top of the stove for 3 to 4 hours.
- Let the stock cool slightly, skim off any fat, and strain, reserving the beef bones for serving simply with strong horseradish. Refrigerate, or freeze the stock in smaller amounts for future use.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.