Chicken Salad with Grapes, Avocado, and Almonds over Spinach
This dish benefits the eyes: The spinach, corn, and avocado all deliver on either lutein or zeaxanthin, or both. Other antioxidants present include vitamin E (almonds), selenium (chicken), and catechins (grapes).
Body+Soul, July/August 2009
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Makes 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bunch flat leaf spinach
- 1 cup seedless organic red grapes, halved
- 1/2 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 ears corn, shucked and removed from cob
- 1 avocado, halved and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, and Dijon; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium. Sprinkle chicken with coriander; season with salt and pepper. Cook (this may need to be done in batches), turning once, until opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes; slice thinly crosswise.
- Add chicken, spinach, grapes, shallot, almonds, and corn to bowl with dressing; toss to combine. Top with avocado. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.