Spaghetti with Garlic and Herbs
For the most nutritionally potent hit of garlic, try it raw. Fresh Parmesan, pepperoncini, and aromatic herbs add spark to hearty whole-wheat pasta. For even more pow, mix in minced anchovies.
Body+Soul, March 2010
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 6 pepperoncini, sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (6 to 8 cloves)
- 3/4 cup chopped parsley, basil, or both
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a generous amount of salt, then add pasta. Cook until al dente.
- Just before pasta is done, heat oil in a large skillet. Add pepperoncini and half of the garlic; toss to heat through.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta-cooking water, then drain pasta.
- Add pasta to skillet and stir. Add just enough reserved pasta water to moisten; stir in garlic and herbs. Stir in cheese, then season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with more olive oil and shaved Parmesan, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.