Deep-Fried Sweet Potatoes
A healthy redo of this popular "vegetable" curbs the fat and salt but keeps the crunch.
Body+Soul, January/February 2009
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), skin on, scrubbed and cut into 4-inch sticks, each 1/2-inch thick
- 4 cups (1 quart) canola oil
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup lager beer
- Mediterranean Spice (http://www.wholeliving.com/130464/mediterranean-spice)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Put a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Put sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe container, cover, and microwave 2 minutes. Stir gently, cover, and microwave 1 to 2 minutes more until pieces are pliable. Let rest 5 minutes covered; pour onto a platter.
- In a 4-quart saucepan over medium, heat oil to 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. In a large bowl, gradually whisk the cornstarch into the beer (if you whisk it together all at once, it will get too thick). Working with a handful at a time, dip potatoes into the mixture, letting the excess drip back into the bowl. Add to the hot oil and fry in three or four batches until dark golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per batch. Transfer fries to oven while cooking the remaining batches.
- Place the fries in a large clean bowl, add the Mediterranean Spice mix, and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.