Sirloin Salad with Cilantro
Tart citrus, hot jalapeno, and assertive cilantro wake up grilled sirloin steak.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2007
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 pound sirloin steak (about 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced into wedges
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Process 1/2 cup cilantro, vinegar, oil, orange juice and zest, jalapeno, and salt in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Rub half of the marinade over steak, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 3 or 4 seconds.) Grill steak, flipping halfway through, until a meat thermometer registers 125 for medium-rare, about 12 minutes. Meanwhile, grill onion, flipping once, until it begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Let steak rest for 10 minutes before thinly slicing. Serve with onion and remaining 1/2 cup cilantro and marinade, and garnish with parsley.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.