Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sunflower Seeds
They may be tiny, but seeds pack a powerful nutritional punch.
Martha Stewart Living, October 2008
- 1 pound medium brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 pound white pearl onions, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock, warmed
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400. Toss brussels sprouts, onions, salt, and 2 teaspoons oil in a medium bowl. Season with pepper. Arrange vegetables in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown and tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a serving dish, and toss with herbs, vinegar, warm chicken stock, sunflower seeds, and remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.