Marinated Beet Salad
Change up this recipe by using half olive oil and half walnut oil, and top the beets with tossed walnuts. You can also use a mixture of beets such as Chioggia, golden, and red.
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 55 minutes, plus marinating
- Yield Serves 4
- 5 medium beets (about 1 pound without greens), ends trimmed, halved
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Set a steamer basket in a large saucepan with a lid. Fill with enough water to come just below basket; bring to a boil. Place beets in steamer basket, cover pot, and reduce water to a gentle simmer. Steam until beets are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. When cool enough to handle, grab beets with a paper towel and slip off skins. Cut the beets into thin slices.
- In a medium bowl combine sliced beets, garlic, vinegar, and oil; season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Remove and discard garlic. Serve beets topped with mint and goat cheese.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.