Cornmeal Biscuits with Kiwi
This recipe makes more dough than you need. Shape the dough in a log, wrap it in plastic, and freeze. Slice and bake the cookies as needed.
- Yield Makes 1 dozen cookies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 1 teaspoon for sprinkling
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal, plus extra for dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced into 4 rounds
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and 1/4 cup sugar until smooth. Add the yolk and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add them to the egg mixture and stir just to combine. The mixture will resemble coarse crumbs. Add 1 tablespoon of cold water to bring the dough together. Wrap in plastic and freeze for 1/2 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Dust the countertop with cornmeal. Using your fingertips, press the dough to a 1/4-inch thickness about 8 inches around, and cut into desired shapes. Gently run a knife under each shape to remove and place on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle sparingly with sugar. Bake until golden, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the biscuits to a wire rack to cool. Arrange 2 cookies and a slice of kiwi on each of 4 dessert plates. The remaining cookies will keep, tightly covered, for up to 3 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.