Blueberry Health Muffins
Buy blueberries that are plump, deep blue, and have a mild, chalky coating called bloom -- it's a sign of less handling.
Whole Living, July/August 2010
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a bowl whisk together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ, baking powder, salt, and 2/3 cup brown sugar. Make a well in center of bowl and add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Gently mix until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter among muffin cups. Combine 2 Tbsp. toasted wheat germ, 1 Tbsp. brown sugar, and rolled oats in a small bowl. Sprinkle over tops of muffins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Let sit in pan 10 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack to cool.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.