Spring Wheat Berry Salad
This fresh spring salad is loaded with healthy fava beans (a good source of dietary fiber and protein), baby turnips (for vitamin C), and pea shoots (for vitamins A, C, and folic acid). Top with Grilled Arctic Char, if desired.
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2010
- 2 cups wheat berries
- 2 cups fresh peas, shelled
- 1 cup fava beans, shelled
- 8 baby turnips, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups pea shoots
- 2 cups assorted micro greens or salad greens
- 3/4 cup fresh chervil
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place wheat berries in a large bowl; add 7 to 8 cups water. Let wheat berries soak overnight; drain.
- In a large pot, bring 7 cups water to a boil over high heat. Add soaked wheat berries and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until wheat berries are plump, about 55 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Add peas to boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to ice-water bath to cool. Remove from water bath and set aside.
- Add fava beans to boiling water and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Transfer to ice-water bath to cool; drain. Peel fava beans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together wheat berries, peas, fava beans, turnips, pea shoots, greens, chervil, mint, and lemon zest. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.