Tomato Soup with Mozzarella Croutons
Inspired by: Delivery pizza. Why it's better: Pizza flavor without the grease.
Whole Living, October 2010
For the Soup
- 1 28-oz. can whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Croutons
- 1/2 baguette, sliced (about 16 slices)
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil leaves
- Pulse tomatoes and liquid in a food processor until chopped. Heat oil and red pepper flakes in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, until onions are tender, about 6 minutes. Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 30 minutes. Puree until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, drizzle bread with oil. Toast in 375 degrees oven until it begins to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Top with mozzarella and return to oven. Cook until cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute more.
- Top with fresh basil, season with salt and pepper, and serve with soup.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.