Raw Tomato Compote
This compote is wonderful served cold with grilled artichokes, but it is equally good just heated through and spooned over steamed fish or grilled bread.
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, white part only, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup good-quality wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper. The compote will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for 2 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.