Rice and Beans with Avocado, Tomato, and Cheese
Inspired by: Bean burrito. Why it's better: Zesty freshness, not refried.
Whole Living, October 2010
For the Beans
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans with liquid
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced white onion
- Kosher salt
For the Salsa
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 ounces cotija (or extra-sharp cheddar) cheese
- 4 flour tortillas
- 4 cups short-grain brown rice, cooked
- 1 avocado, seed removed, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Cook the beans: Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, until pepper is tender, about 8 minutes. Add beans and liquid and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Prepare salsa: Combine tomatoes and onion; season with salt and top with crumbled cheese.
- To serve: Heat tortillas in a dry pan until warm. Spoon rice and beans over half. Top with avocado. Fold into quarters. Serve with lime and salsa.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.