Photo: Raymond Hom
Whole-Wheat Penne with Tomatoes and Red Onion
Red onion adds a sweet note to roasted tomatoes. Toss the mix with whole-wheat pasta, and this quick weeknight dinner is ready in no time.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 8 ounces dried whole-wheat penne
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Preheat broiler. Toss tomatoes and onion with 2 teaspoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the red-pepper flakes. Broil on a rimmed baking sheet until tomatoes are just starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
- Toss warm pasta with garlic, remaining 2 teaspoons oil, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in tomato mixture and the oregano. Add 1/4 cup reserved cooking water to moisten; stir in remaining water as needed. Divide pasta among 4 bowls, and stir 1 tablespoon ricotta into each.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.