Mediterranean Tuna Salad
Tuna is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which may protect against heart disease, high blood pressure, and many cancers. Capers bring Mediterranean flair -- and antioxidants -- to this dish.
Martha Stewart Living, August 2009
- 1 large can (12 ounces) water-packed solid albacore tuna, drained
- 1 celery stalk, diced (1/2 cup), leaves reserved (1/4 cup)
- 1 strip (1 1/2 inches) lemon zest, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 to 3 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons drained brine-packed capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup dill sprigs
- 8 ounces mixed salad greens
- 4 slices multigrain bread, halved and toasted
- Combine tuna, diced celery, lemon zest and juice, almonds, oil, capers, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Season with pepper, and stir gently. Mix in dill and celery leaves. Serve tuna over greens with toast on the side.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.