Rather than serving expected mashed potatoes, use nutritious rutabagas, mashing them with buttermilk and seasoning them with a dash of nutmeg.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 2 small rutabagas, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the rutabagas until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash using a large fork. Add the milk, buttermilk, vinegar, and nutmeg and mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.