Fried Eggs with Tomatoes, Watercress, and Breadcrumbs
Toasted breadcrumbs add crunch to the soft eggs and juicy tomatoes.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2010
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh plain fine breadcrumbs, toasted
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- Coarse salt
- 1 bunch watercress (about 5 ounces)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Cook breadcrumbs, stirring often, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat, and brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Cook tomatoes, stirring occasionally, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add vinegar and shallot, and remove skillet from heat.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over high heat until shimmering; crack eggs into skillet, and fry until edges are crisp and whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes. (Cover for last 1 to 2 minutes to cook whites if needed.) Season eggs with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Divide watercress among 4 plates, then do the same with tomatoes and eggs. Spoon vinegar-shallot mixture on top. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.