Dashi with Soba Noodles
- 1 strip kombu, about 7 inches long, wiped down with a damp cloth
- 1/2 cup bonito flakes (fish flakes)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 1/4 tablespoons mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- Juice of 1/4 lime
- 6 ounces soba noodles, cooked al dente and rinsed
- 1 small chayote, cut into fine julienne
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into fine julienne
- 1 cup Kaiware sprouts
- 3/4 cup enoki mushrooms
- 1 small daikon radish, peeled and cut into fine julienne
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger, for garnish
- In a medium stockpot, combine 4 cups of water and the kombu and bring to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, remove the kombu. Add the bonito flakes and remove the pot from the heat. Allow the flakes to settle to the bottom of the pot, and strain the broth. Add the soy sauce, mirin, and lime juice.
- Divide the noodles among 4 bowls. Divide the vegetables evenly among the 4 bowls. Pour in the dashi, top each bowl with a little grated ginger, and serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.