The Very Best Chicken Soup
This version of chicken soup is brimming with healthful beans, carrots, and bitter greens.
- 8 cups Chicken Stock to Make 1 1/2 Quarts (http://www.wholeliving.com/130403/chicken-stock-make-1-12-quarts), or low-sodium canned
- Two 8-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- 2 large carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced very thin, preferably on a mandoline
- 1/2 cup puntarella or other bitter greens, such as escarole
- 1 cup cooked cranberry, white, navy, or Great Northern beans
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a 3-quart soup pot, simmer the stock. Add the chicken and poach until opaque and firm, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the carrots to the broth and cook until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Add the fennel, greens, and beans and simmer.
- Shred the chicken into 1-inch strips with your hands. Add to the pot and simmer until the chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into 4 shallow soup bowls and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.