Spaghetti with Sardines, Cauliflower, and Kale
Sneak in more veggies by tossing in cauliflower and kale with your pasta.
Whole Living, November 2010
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 halved and thinly sliced onions
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch kale, torn into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 tin sardines, broken into pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until golden, about 18 minutes. (Reduce heat if onions become too dark.)
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and red pepper flakes, and cook for 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cauliflower to pan with onions. Cook, stirring, until cauliflower is tender, about 4 minutes. Add kale to cauliflower. Cook, stirring, until kale is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add spaghetti to boiling water; cook according to package instructions. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup water; add to pan with cauliflower. Add just enough pasta water to create a sauce that coats the pasta. Remove from heat; stir in sardines, lemon juice, and 2 more tbsp. oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.