Roasted Beet Salad
Toasted caraway seeds infuse this salad with subtle hints of anise and lemon. Dry-toasting seeds and spices releases their flavor, giving most any dish incredible depth without adding a bit of fat.
- 8 small beets, cleaned and trimmed (about 2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups red oak leaf lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Wrap the beets in parchment paper, place on a small baking sheet, and roast in the oven until they yield to a paring knife, about 35 to 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, toast the caraway seeds until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk together the oil and vinegar, add the toasted caraway seeds, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When the beets have cooled, peel and cut them into eighths. Toss the beets in the dressing. Divide the lettuce among 4 salad plates and arrange the beets on top.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.