Oat Bran-Applesauce Mini Muffins
Martha Stewart Living, April 2008
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 ounces dates, pitted and chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon old-fashioned oats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat 2 mini-muffin tins with cooking spray. Place applesauce and dates in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is reduced to 1 1/4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes. Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and let cool completely.
- Transfer to a large bowl, and stir in bran, buttermilk, egg, honey, ginger, and vanilla. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, flaxseed, baking soda, salt, allspice, and 1/4 cup oats. Stir into bran mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared tins, filling to the brims. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon oats over muffins. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center of 1 comes out clean, 21 to 23 minutes. Let cool completely in pans on wire racks.
Muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.