Deviled Eggs with Cucumber, Dill, and Capers
A mix of Dijon mustard, briny capers, chopped cucumber, and dill brings unexpected flavor and crunch to deviled eggs. It's easy to forget that these cocktail snacks are low in fat -- not to mention high in protein and calcium.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2009
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons brine-packed capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced (1/2 cup)
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Place eggs in a medium saucepan, and add cold water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Cover, and remove from heat. Let stand for 13 minutes. Drain, and transfer eggs to ice-water bath; let stand until cool.
- Peel eggs, and cut in half lengthwise. Transfer 3 yolks to a medium bowl, and mash with a fork until smooth; reserve remaining yolks for another use. Stir in yogurt, mustard, pepper, chopped dill, capers, and cucumber. Spoon filling into egg whites. Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes or up to 1 hour. Garnish with dill sprigs just before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.