Millet, Bulgur, and Chestnut Stuffing
Cranberries and chestnuts bring traditional Thanksgiving flavors to this remarkably light, nutty, satisfying side.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2008
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 11/2 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 5 ounces jarred or vacuum-packed whole peeled chestnuts, halved (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (3 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook millet and bulgur separately.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add shallots, celery, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chestnuts and herbs, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add stock, scraping bottom of pan. Raise heat to medium-high, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in cranberries, and simmer for 3 minutes. Add the millet, bulgur, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, until heated through. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day (bring to room temperature or warm gently over low heat before serving).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.