Anna Lappe, cofounder of the Small Planet Institute, developed this vegan gravy recipe to be served with her Dried Fruit and Toasted Nut Stuffing, a Thanksgiving dish from her childhood.
Whole Living, November 2010
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 8 ounces assorted mushrooms such as white button, shiitake, cremini, velvet pioppino, and brown and white beech, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring water to a boil. Transfer dried mushrooms to a medium bowl. Cover with water and let stand 30 minutes, until mushrooms are softened. Drain liquid (and reserve) through a sieve, and slice mushrooms. Set aside.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms and cook until soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Deglaze pan with wine and
reduce liquid by half, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slowly whisk cornstarch into 1 cup of mushroom liquid until smooth; set aside. Add remaining 3 cups mushroom liquid and chopped rehydrated mushrooms to gravy. Bring to a boil. Stir in cornstarch mixture and simmer until mixture thickens, about 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.