Banana Bread with Walnuts and Flaxseed
You can store the banana bread wrapped well in plastic wrap at room temperature up to four days.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2004
- Yield Makes 1 loaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened, for pan
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground golden flaxseed (from about 2 tablespoons whole)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (about 1 3/4 ounces), toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan, and set aside. Whisk together the flours, flaxseed, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Put egg and egg white in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and mix on medium-low speed until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and bananas, and mix until combined. Add the reserved flour mixture, and mix on low speed until well incorporated, about 10 seconds. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour batter into buttered pan. Bake until golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan on a wire rack. Invert bread to unmold; reinvert, and let cool completely on rack.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.