Photo: Tina Rupp
Banana Bread with Walnuts and Flaxseed
You can store the banana bread wrapped well in plastic wrap at room temperature up to four days.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2004
- Yield Makes 1 loaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened, for pan
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground golden flaxseed (from about 2 tablespoons whole)
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (about 1 3/4 ounces), toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan, and set aside. Whisk together the flours, flaxseed, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Put egg and egg white in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and mix on medium-low speed until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and bananas, and mix until combined. Add the reserved flour mixture, and mix on low speed until well incorporated, about 10 seconds. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour batter into buttered pan. Bake until golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan on a wire rack. Invert bread to unmold; reinvert, and let cool completely on rack.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.