Avocado adds an unexpected savoriness -- plus its retro shade of green -- to icy gelato, made in part with fat-free milk.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2007
- Yield Makes 1 quart
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 strips orange zest
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Whisk whole milk with cornstarch in a bowl.
- Whisk together fat-free milk, sugar, and orange zest in a saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Add cornstarch mixture, and cook, whisking, until mixture bubbles and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove orange zest. Set in ice-water bath to cool.
- Puree avocados, lime juice, salt, and milk mixture in a food processor.
- Freeze the avocado mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container, and freeze for at least 3 hours (or up to 2 weeks). Spoon 2 scoops of gelato into each bowl, and serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.