Wild Mushroom Soup
Finding the exquisite variety of wild mushrooms featured in this soup used to require a special trip to a gourmet market. Now, virtually any large supermarket offers a good selection.
For the broth
- Reserved mushroom stems
- 2 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 peppercorns
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
For the soup
- 1 pound assorted wild mushrooms (oysters, shiitakes, chanterelles, horn of plenty, porcini), cleaned and trimmed, stem ends reserved
- 1 red onion, 1/2 peeled and very thinly sliced, 1/2 coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the broth ingredients with 2 quarts of cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer 20 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms into 1/4-inch strips.
- Strain the broth. Add the onion to the broth and cook over low heat 3 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into shallow soup bowls and garnish with the thyme.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.