Marjoram, with its hint of balsam, complements mild yellow and green summer squash in this simple crustless zucchini pie. It is topped by tomato slices and low-fat feta cheese, a lean choice. If yellow zucchini are unavailable, use all green zucchini.<P>Return to Healthy Greek Menu.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2001
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound (about 2 or 3) green zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound (about 2 or 3) yellow zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped dill
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 5 large eggs plus 5 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add green zucchini, half the scallions, half the garlic, A teaspoon marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until zucchini has softened and is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
- Rinse skillet; repeat process with yellow zucchini and remaining teaspoon olive oil, scallions, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Transfer to bowl with cooked green zucchini; let sit until cooled. Drain and discard any liquid.
- Add dill, parsley, and eggs to zucchini; stir to combine. Pour into a 9 1/2-inch round, deep baking dish. Cover with tomato; sprinkle with feta. Bake until set, about 1 hour. Serve hot or at room temperature.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.