Almond-Poppy Crackers with Cottage Cheese and Honey
Intensely flavored almond flour gives these poppy crackers a buttery crispness, along with a measure of protein, calcium, vitamin E, and folic acid.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2010
- Yield Makes 1 dozen
For the Crackers:
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (<a href="http://bobsredmill.com" target="_blank">bobsredmill.com</a>)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
For the Topping:
- 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, poppy seeds, oil, salt, and egg white. Transfer mixture to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with parchment; roll out dough to an 8-by-12-inch rectangle. Uncover, and cut into twelve 2-by-4-inch crackers using a paring knife. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool.
- Pulse cottage cheese in a food processor until smooth. Spread 1 tablespoon onto each cracker, and drizzle each with 1 teaspoon honey.
An unrimmed baking sheet makes it easier to roll the dough. Crackers can be stored at room temperature for up to one week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.