Rich Onion Soup
A stewing pot or slow cooker will perfume your home with delicious aromas and warmth.
Whole Living, January/February 2011
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 medium onions
- 3 tablespoons Cognac
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 7 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced Gruyere
- 8 slices of whole-grain rustic bread
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized and very soft, about 45 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with Cognac and wine, scraping up bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle flour over onions; stir. Add beef stock and thyme leaves and
bring to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, until heated through, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange Gruyere on bread and broil until cheese is melted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with soup.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.