- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch of baking powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus some for sprinkling
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugar and mix on medium speed until the mixture holds together. Scrape down the sides of the
bowl and add the egg, vanilla, and molasses. Mix on medium speed until incorporated. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Place the dough on parchment paper and roll out into an 8-inch-long X 1 1/2-inch-wide log. Freeze until firm, up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the log into 1/4-inch rounds, place on a baking sheet 1/2 inch apart, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until the cookies crack slightly on the surface, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.