Salad of Crisp Squid, Asparagus, and Tangerines
Martha Stewart Living, March 2002
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds squid, cleaned and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- 1 pound medium asparagus, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed tangerine juice
- 8 cups (8 ounces) mixed salad greens
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced into rings
- 2 tangerines, peel and pith removed and cut into whole segments
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush two large baking sheets with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil each. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, oregano, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Rinse, and drain squid (do not dry); add to breadcrumb mixture, and toss to coat well. Arrange squid in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Transfer to oven; cook until golden and crusted underneath, about 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, and loosen with a metal spatula.
- While squid is cooking, place asparagus in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Rinse with cold water to stop cooking, and drain well. Slice diagonally into 1/4-inch lengths.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, tangerine juice, and remaining tablespoon oil. Add greens, onion, asparagus, and tangerines; season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Arrange on a platter, layered with squid.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.