Spinach Pesto on Sardine Crostini
Rich in omega-3s, sardines help boost brainpower.
Every little bit helps when you're tired and stressed.
Whole Living, December 2010
- 1 pound baby spinach, rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- 8 slices rustic bread
- 1 4-oz. can sardines
- 1/4 cup currants
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Steam damp spinach in a large
covered pot over medium heat
until tender and wilted, about
5 minutes. Drain. Squeeze out
excess water. Transfer to a food
processor. Add garlic, pepper
flakes, nuts, and Parmesan to
bowl. Pulse until finely ground.
With machine running, add oil.
Stir in lemon zest. Season with
salt. Serve with toasted bread
drizzled with oil and topped with
sardines and currants. Squeeze
with lemon before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.