This versitile compote can go savory or sweet. Try it as a sandwich spread or stirred into plain yogurt. Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, the compote should last up to two weeks.
Body+Soul, June 2008
- Prep Time 5 minues
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Makes 1 cup
- 1 pound halved and pitted fresh sweet cherries (4 cups)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine cherries, sugar, fresh rosemary, and 1 tablespoon water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until cherries are nice and tender and liquid is slightly thickened, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar; season lightly with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature until cool. Serve or store.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.