Bulgur Salad with Cherries
Try this nutty salad as a side dish or serve it over greens for a light meal.
Body+Soul, June 2008
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 pound halved and pitted fresh sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon, chives, and parsley
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in bulgur and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed and bulgur is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, and shallot; season with salt and pepper. Add bulgur and toss to combine. Refrigerate, uncovered, until cool, about 10 minutes.
- Add cherries, herbs, and walnuts to bulgur mixture; toss to combine. Season again with salt and pepper. Serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.