Lemon-Saffron Millet Pilaf
We served this pilaf with grilled shrimp, but it would be just as good with any roasted or grilled fish.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2001
- Yield Serves 8 to 10 as a side dish
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, washed and finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups millet
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest, plus more zest for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, carrots, celery, salt, and pepper, and cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the saffron and millet, and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add the water, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Bring to a simmer; cover, reduce heat to low, and let cook until all water has been absorbed, about 25 minutes. Turn off heat, and let sit, covered, until tender, 10 minutes more.
- Add the parsley, and stir with a fork to combine parsley and fluff pilaf. Serve garnished with lemon zest.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.