Meyer Lemon Upside-Down Cake
Whole Living, January/February 2011
- 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Meyer lemons
- 1 1/2 cups toasted whole almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rub bottom and sides of an 8-inch cake pan with 2 tablespoons butter and sprinkle bottom with sugar. Thinly slice lemons and remove seeds. Arrange lemon slices in concentric circles over brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse almonds until finely ground. Add baking soda and
salt, and pulse to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and honey. Stir in almond mixture.
- Beat egg whites until doubled in volume (but do not form soft peaks). Gently fold whites into almond mixture until just combined. Transfer batter to prepared cake pan.
- Bake until top is deep golden brown and a skewer inserted into middle comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Carefully turn out onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature. Slice with a serrated knife.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.