Stewed Collard Greens and White Beans
Cannellini beans are full of fiber and protein. Collards, rich in vitamins A and K and calcium, are in the cancer-fighting cruciferous family. Parmesan rind -- don't toss it! -- lends an incredibly rich flavor. (No bacon required.)
Whole Living, March 2011
- 12 ounces dry cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch collard greens (about 2 lbs.), stems removed and leaves cut into 3-inch-thick strips
- 1 3- to 4-inch piece Parmesan rind
- 7 cups water
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Cover beans with 3 inches of water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cover for 1 hour. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes until tender, about 4 minutes. Add collard greens in batches, stirring until wilted. Add beans, Parmesan rind, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans and greens are tender, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Season with salt and vinegar.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.