Surprisingly easy to make, this stock is built on basic vegetables that are often already on hand (carrots, onion, leeks), plus a few herbs.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2011
- 2 leeks, white and pale-green parts only, cut into 1-inch rounds, rinsed well
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 cups water
- 5 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns, crushed
- Cook leeks, carrots, onion, and garlic, covered, stirring occasionally,
in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add water, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Raise heat to high. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Pour through a cheesecloth-lined strainer; discard solids.
Stock can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.