Roasted Pepper, Feta, and Basil Bruschetta
Instead of using bread, try serving this light dish on a bed of greens, tossed with pasta, or stirred into couscous.
Body+Soul, June 2007
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grill
- 4 bell peppers halved lengthwise, ribs and seeds removed
- 4 thick slices whole-wheat country bread
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn into pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Heat grill to high; lightly oil grates. Place peppers on grill skin side down; cover. Cook, moving peppers on grill as they char (keep skin side down), until skin is charred all over and peppers are crisp-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Immediately transfer peppers to a medium bowl and cover bowl with a towel or a plate; let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use 1 tablespoon of oil (divide evenly) to brush one side of each slice of bread. Place oil side down on grill and cook until toasted, about 1 minute.
- Remove peppers from bowl and, using a paring knife, scrape off charred skin. Cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch strips. In a medium bowl toss pepper strips with remaining tablespoon oil, vinegar, feta, and basil; season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture evenly onto the grilled side of each slice of bread.
Per serving: 224 calories; 8 g protein; 11 g fat; 27 g carb; 4 g fiber
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.