Peas With Nitrate-Free Bacon and Fresh Herbs
Body+Soul, November/December 2005
- 6 slices nitrate-free bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 20 ounces frozen petite/baby peas or fresh peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Cook bacon in a heavy 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat; heat over medium heat.
- Add peas, dill, mint, 1 tablespoon of the chives, water, salt, and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in butter, bacon, and remaining tablespoon of chives.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.